From time to time I have people around me telling me that they have no idea of what to do or supposedly they have no time to help others. So to start a thread I will give you some idea what to do and hope that you will give some of your ideas.
Check out the following ideas for ways to help your community:
- Take the time to introduce yourself and know your neighbors, learning about others if often a way to start to help.
- Shop at local stores and markets can help your small businesses to survive. Same goes for services and restaurants.
- Organize clean up of street around your homes, communicate with civil association and government official (in some case they even provide you with grant for landscaping street and similar project).
- Know your local charities and help them organize festivals or fundraisers is a fun way to help them make money or get sponsorships. Since sponsors look at attendance to decide how much to give, your family, friends and acointance can add to the number and help increase what businesses would give next year.
- Write a letter to local elected officials encouraging them for making good decisions for the community. Most of us neglect how much impact we have on their decisions.
- Report suspicious activities to the police, a safe and drug free neighborhood is everyone responsibilities. You don’t want to live in a police state but in safe surroundings, zero tolerance for thug , drug dealers and other illegal activities is what you want to have for you and your family. This kind of action will send a clear message to everyone (people and officials) that you intend to respect where you live and that you are ready to take the steps necessary for it.
- Organize a street garage sale or a bake sale and give the profit to a local organization or directly to someone in need. You can also look for schools as many of them collect items, such as canned foods and clothes for families in need.
- Encourage your employer and co-workers to sponsor charitable events. Many small or big businesses have volunteer programs you could be part of, a good example is always welcomed. Remind businesses that this will also provide them with extra advertising (Publix is a great example).
- In some areas, we have seen people helping ederly in maintaining their houses or their gardens, taking them to the store for food shopping, giving them the possibility to stay in their homes and continue to live as they should be.
I hope this help and that you will share with us some your idea